Thursday, February 10, 2005

I’m looking in on the good life I might be doomed never to find.

It is funny when you really evaluate the reasons you like something. I’ve noticed that I am a bit of a voyeurist. I think we all are. Look at you reading the blog of someone you probably never met. I think that is the reason I like My Space. It gives you a chance to peep into someone’s life and maybe make a single serving friend. I think it is fascinating to see what people really perceive as their best asset. Some post their writings or links to their web pages. Others post pictures of themselves in thongs. Rarely do you find a user that has both a link to their poetry and a thong shot. Funny isn’t it.


I suppose it all goes back to us all thinking we are unique and special and one of a kind. I found myself wanting to fire off an email to Zach Braff and ask him to read some of my writing or maybe for some advice on writing screen plays. Then it occurred to me that he probably gets upwards of 2,000 emails a day saying the same thing. I think he would also have a certain level of contempt for people just randomly emailing him, when he had to work to get “Garden State” made. I know someone who tried out for a short role in the film and honestly, when she explained who was making it I had some snide comment about the guy from “Scrubs” taking a shot at making a movie. Boy was I off with that one.


So maybe we aren’t all that unique and certainly we aren’t all that different. The best art always stems from something that you can look at and say “I could do that.” There is something about that immediate association with a work of art or a book that draws us in. Maybe that is where the golden rule of “write about what you know” comes from. Granted I still harbor some hope that a celebrity will stumble across my blog and think I’m cool and give me a shout out on Jimmy Kimmel’s show. The reality of reality TV is that we all like to think someone else’s life is more interesting than our own. We also secretly know that most of our lives are held hostage by mundane BS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home