Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ha!

Funny how we sometimes put things into our own heads. Yesterday I mentioned I wouldn’t give up meat for Lent. Then I started thinking about it and it seemed like a darn good idea. I mean Lent is all about self sacrifice and if I start really wanting a steak, I’ll rent “the Passion.” OK, I’m being silly, but seriously what is the point of giving something up that you will not really miss? The flip side is if my gamble on Christianity doesn’t pay off, at least not killing for food for a while will help my karma. The factory farm issues are pretty disgusting and honestly if most of us gave some serious thought to what really goes into our bodies, we’d probably all become vegetarians. It is pretty brutal and filthy and just plain inhumane. I don’t think even the biggest carnivore will argue that. The thing is we pick and choose when we want to be above the other animals and have dominion over them and when we want to say our behavior, good or bad, is just “nature.” I am as guilty as anyone else.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! It worked! Jonathan, I am so so proud of you. Really, I am. I love how yesterday you wrote basically, no way am I giving up meat, and then three hours later...well...you gave up meat. I think it is WONDERFUL!

You know who

Oh, just stay away from pasta all the way. Seriously. It is too easy.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home