Wednesday, March 03, 2004

It is about McTime. Apparently the golden arches are finally making an effort to scale back on the super sizes. I’ll bet for every person who sees this as a positive move, there will be just as many 300 pound food addicts out there who are up in arms. I can picture the scene right now. An ample woman drives through McDonalds and orders her usual Double Quarter Pounder with fries and Diet Coke. (As Paris “Socrates” Hilton says, “Diet Coke is for fat people”). So in waddles this lady fresh from the drive-thru screaming at the poor 16 year old behind the counter that the fries in her bag hardly constitute a serving. Trust me, you might find yourself privy to this very scene soon enough.

Now it is easy enough to jump on the bandwagon and blame fast food for America’s (and recently the world’s) growing girth, but the truth is Henry VIII did not have a single Big Mac in his kingdom and his obesity is legendary. While I do believe it is part of the puzzle, I don’t think it is the answer. This is a positive change, but many more are needed.

I could blame my lifetime of weight struggles on fast food. I grew up in single parent home. With four kids in and out of the house, we didn’t have tons of money. Mom made sure we were fed, but the last thing we could afford was a visit to a fancy restaurant (and yes, McDonalds qualified at the time). When my Mom remarried, my step dad introduced me to fast food. I quickly went from the skinniest little runt in my class to the fat kid. Trust me, I have the pictures. Yet I don’t recall any McDonalds' employee ever holding a gun to my head and forcing me to eat. At least McDonalds is making an effort to change things, but as long as we all have free will, what’s stopping us from ordering two small fries?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home