Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Two things, two things. That’s what some schizoid guy said to me as I stood outside my friend’s apartment 2 summers back smoking a cigarette in the Queen Anne district of Seattle. Today, I say the same to you.


First order of business…the world o’ music. Tonight I’m seeing Modest Mouse in a venue of 200 people. It will either be the greatest concert I have ever been to or absolute hell. My friend Jesse is a buddy with their bass player, so I might get up the nerve to talk with Eric Judy. Every time I am out west, he has been on the road, so we’ve never met under those less cautionary terms. I did see his picture on Jesse’s fridge and surmised Mr. Judy reminds me a bit of a young Kevin Spacey. In other music news, my nephew is the bass player in Clean Getaway. They’re going to be huge, so keep your eyes open.


Also in the all too immediate future is “The Passion” by Mel “use to have a mullet” Gibson. Apparently the films depiction of Christ’s death is pretty graphic and very anti-Semitic. If you aren’t Catholic or you haven’t escaped the clutches of the Vatican (like yours truly), then you probably don’t know this film is anything but historically or Biblically accurate. No, I don’t deny Jesus was crucified, nor do I deny the Jews played a big old roll in that, but I’d like to point out he was Jewish himself. I’m sure if the local townspeople here decided to crucify me, I doubt very seriously the national news would start criticizing all Floridians for their violent practices. A few people would be held accountable who just so happen to be Floridian. At least, I hope that’s how it would play out.


Anyway, the Vatican is torn like Natalie Imbruglia (I just wanted to mention her because she is gorgeous). If they endorse the movie, then it will have a detrimental effect of the Jewish-Catholic relations that have taken decades to become what they are. On the other hand, the film is based on Anne Catherine Emmerich's account of her visions. She is a German nun who was also afflicted with the stigmata and had visions of Christ's suffering. Currently, the Catholic Church is on its way to beautifying her. So here she is on her way to sainthood. No way is the Catholic Church or the Pope going to question the film, because that would question the visions of a woman they are about to make into a saint. What to do, what to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home