Saturday, January 21, 2006

Maybe I like them because their name is a reference to Belle and Sebastian. Regardless, check out “Dylan in the Movies.”
I’ve been trying to avoid sad bastard music, but these guys are growing on me. I was almost happy and well adjusted.

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

Anyone worth their weight in Pop Rocks immediately recognizes that little quote.


So, a cautionary tale. If you get some weird itch to see “The Ringer” take my advice and don’t. Partly due to a 3 star review in the local “alternative” paper, a friend and I decided to give it a chance. I have to admit, I’m pretty hard to offend so that definitely was not the case. The movie didn’t over step any boundaries for me. I was also glad to see some people get screen time who clearly do not fall into the typical Hollywood actor mold. The challenged actors in the film were great and of course showed what they are really capable of. My beef with the film is this. It was a comedy that forgot to be funny. Lighthearted, yes, but not funny.

I think Johnny Knoxville might want to go back to stapling things to his testicles, because that was the last time most of us saw him in his element. Every other time I’ve seen him on screen, he looks about as comfortable as Richard Simmons at a bikini contest. Mr. Knoxville, return to what the good Lord intended you to do and start setting your farts on fire.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of LOSER would go see that movie? I wouldn't see "The Ringer" if Corky from Life Goes On bought my ticket. (Besides the retarded quarterback from Garden State was so much better.)

Your friend,
Matt O.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home