Tuesday, July 03, 2007

With insomnia, nothing is real.
Everything is far away. Everything
is a copy of a copy of a copy.
-Fight Club



There’s nothing more depressing than being up in the dead middle of the night. Late night is the domain of the partying alcoholic and early morning is the time the health nuts take to the streets to jog away more miles than the average American walked last year. A select few of us live in the gray hours in between.

Nothing positive happens at 3 AM. TV is mostly infomercials and most of those are for “Girls Gone Wild.” I suspect there’s a lot of self-pleasure in the middle of the night. The questions for me, aside from the obvious “what am I doing up at this hour?” always revolve around what causes insomnia. Some nights I sleep just fine and others I don’t sleep at all. I’m chalking this one up to Claritin D and the heat of a July night in Florida. Maybe I’ll drop the AC down. If only it were that simple.

At some point soon, I’ll become completely exhausted and go to bed. I may get 3 hours, I may get 1. Is there a point where even sleeping at all is pointless? Tomorrow (or I guess today since we’re almost 5 hours deep into July 3rd) will find me in a zombie-like haze. I’ll be cranky all day. I’ll definitely not bring my “A game” to anything. I’ll probably drink too much coffee to compensate. Then the cycle begins again.

I suppose the worst part about not sleeping is how much more difficult it makes everything else. In a few hours, I’ll be sitting in the gym wondering why my muscles burn so badly on a third repetition or sitting at my desk trying to finish the sentence I started. Judgment, speed, coordination, articulation. These are the casualties of chronic sleeplessness. My parents are bad sleepers, so maybe it is genetic. It makes since that the ones who slept the worst were probably least likely to have some carnivorous predator catch them off guard in the wee hours. Of course, I don’t think I’d run form danger very well after 2 hours of restless sleep.


The funny part is this really had no point. It is 5 AM and I should be in bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home