Thursday, March 09, 2006

I think it is time rethink what is cool.


I’ve fallen out of touch with the hipster bohemians that always give me motivation to discover new things. It seems like most of us (and by us I mean folks with office type jobs who end up doing most of our shopping in a strip mall) get in a rut culturally. It is easy to think that what plays at the Cineplex and what music show sup in “Spin” is the crux of all things cultural.

I can think of at least a handful of great artists that I fell in love with around trips out west to Seattle. It sounds funny now to think that these bands were once obscure. The first time I went out west, I was exposed to Modest Mouse (albeit a friend of mine who lived in New York at the time first played them for me). I was really getting into the bad about the time I ventured out west. Of course, by the time I got there in 2000, the real deal hipsters abandoned them already, a full 4 years before the band would have a genuine hit.

That same trip, I was also introduced to Elliot Smith. Right away, I knew this guy was a full blown genius. It wasn’t until two years later when I was out west again that I made it to Portland and got to see many of the haunts he once frequented. It was also on this adventure that I got my first taste of the white Stripes. Apparently they were getting “big” but here in my corner of the south, they still remained unknown.

Last but not least, I was out west around the last presidential election. It was then that I heard Interpol. My friends on this coast have never gotten into the band, so I long for actually having a few Interpol fans to chat with about the band. I just think they’re genius. Of course, I have I-Tunes and KEXP online, but for some reason even the best new stuff isn’t moving me anymore.

It could be a sign of me getting older. The last Belle and Sebastian album and Franz Ferdinand’s sophomore LP just didn’t do anything for me. I distinctly remember being full on elated they were both coming out with new records, but in the in they evoked a sigh on my part. Lately, I’ve liked “Mates of State” a good bit, but as far as new music that moves my soul, I’m starting to wonder if the well has run dry or if I have subconsciously taken the bucket out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home