Monday, October 18, 2004

It is finished. I voted. I will not bother telling you who I voted for, because that is easy to figure out. I didn't go vote because John Kerry is touring the state encouraging people to vote early (he is). I didn't go vote because Jesse Jackson called (he did). I voted because I will be out of my "battleground" state on November 2nd. I voted because my brother is still sick from serving in Desert Storm. I voted because I lost my job after 9-11. I voted because 4 years ago I didn't care about politics until one November evening. I voted because I graduated college into one of the strongest economies and job markets in history. I voted because I have faith that one vote can make a difference.

Trust me when I tell you the polls were packed. I would be generous to say most of the people voting today were twice my age. I'd like to think that they are voting to save social security or get their grandchildren out of Iraq. Looking at the faces there today, they didn't look like the people who marched for civil rights or stood up to the disastrous war of their generation.
If you live in one of the key states (Florida, Ohio, New Mexico...you know who you are) then go to your county’s supervisor of elections and ask to cast your vote. I have voted before, so all I needed to bring was my driver’s license. It is honestly that easy. The future is ours and if we let the last generation (or as it appears the one before that) decide who will be running our government, then we have absolutely no reason to complain. Anyone should be able to take 20 minutes out of his or her schedule sometime in the next two weeks to determine the outcome of the next 4 years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother-- amen.

(lia)

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home