Wednesday, April 28, 2004

I’ve never been one for labels. I keep trying to figure out just where I fit in and I’ve concluded nowhere squarely is the answer. My musical tastes of late tend to really defy explanation. Among the newer stuff I enjoy I keep finding myself drawn to emo. I guess more precisely bands that deny they are emo like “The Get Up Kids” and “Modest Mouse.” I’ve always been a fan of weeping cry baby rock and it could be Michael Stipe singing it or the latest 18-year-old kid from the Midwest who had his heart broken.


What defines “emo” though? I’m a huge fan of “Belle and Sebastian” and “Travis”, yet no self-respecting trendsetter would define either as “emo.” Yet, their music is more emotional and filled with punk sensibility than any of the latest emoesque bands on MTV. I guess emo will go the way of grunge, alternative and all the other terms that no longer mean anything other than a way to label a station on XM radio.

So with emo gone and the sound being imitated by every band on TRL, what is next? I tend to like things years before they get labeled. When I was in high school and listening to “Sunny Day Real Estate” and “Weezer” it was just simple music that geeky kids appreciated. Who knew it would launch a revolution and ultimately fizzle out into the latest fad.

Speaking of fads, trucker hats need to go. Seriously, I mean it. I think Ashton Kutcher won a bet. I’m sure one of his friends said, “Dude, what is the most ridiculous thing you can wear on TV and make into the latest trend?” Nothing is hotter than a shaggy haircut and a trucker hat. That is nothing WAS hotter than that in 1979. Thankfully, I was 3 and while I had shirts with butterfly collars and shaggy hair, my Mom holds the blame for that fashion sense all to herself.

Here are my predictions for what’s coming soon. Acid wash jeans are making a huge comeback.. I called ‘Roos and Member’s Only Jackets last year didn’t I? Acid wash jeans and chamber music will sweep the nation. Perhaps chamber music with a banjo infusion of house or break beat. The banjo is so HOT right now. The next big haircut style will be the reverse Mohawk. Long hair all around and one big streak down the middle. You can quote me on that. Boy this blog entry was pointless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home